Virginia Tech®home

Transfer Students

A tree stands in front of Main Campbell Hall, stained with the colors of fall. Photo by Michael Kiernan for Virginia Tech.

On-Campus Housing Options

Housing contracts are offered to transfer students in order of request date and determined based on the availability of housing. While we attempt to provide housing to transfer students each year, we cannot guarantee or offer on-campus housing to this group until the first-year class has been assigned.

We encourage you to consider applying for the Transfer Experience Living-Learning Community! Students that are accepted into Transfer Experience will be housed in Newman Hall within a large community of other transfer students. It's the best way to secure on-campus housing as a transfer student. If you don't choose to join Transfer Experience or aren't accepted to that program, you can add your name to our housing waitlist.

To add your name to the waitlist:

After you have been admitted, accepted your university offer, and created your VT Username/password/2-factor log-in, please go to the StarRez Portal, log in with your VT Username/password and 2-factor authentication, then select "Housing and Dining Contracts" and then look for the active waitlist term for the upcoming semester/academic year. . Follow the on-screen instructions to add your name to the waitlist.

Students must be enrolled at the university before a contract may be offered. Housing contract offers are made starting in mid-May after the first-year class admission process is complete.

Dining Options

All on-campus residents are required to purchase a Major, Mega, or Premium Flex dining plan. Additionally, about 9,500 off-campus students choose to have a dining plan each year, so Dining Services is ready to serve you!


To be eligible for a housing contract, a student must be admitted by the university, pay the matriculation fee, and be enrolled as a full-time student for the academic year.

Contact us with questions concerning transfer student housing at (540) 231-6205 or