Summer Housing Eligibility

On-campus housing is provided for students enrolled in classes during the summer sessions.

Non-enrolled individuals, including Language & Culture Institute participants, that wish to live on-campus in designated summer-school housing must be approved to do so through Housing and Residence Life. Non-enrolled individuals, including students who are regularly enrolled during other academic semesters but do not have a summer class ticket, are eligible to stay in summer school housing on-campus if there is a:

  • documented need to be on-campus to fulfill an academic obligation/endeavor at the university, or
  • documented need to be on-campus to work/research with a university faculty member.

In either of these instances, Housing and Residence Life considers eligibility upon receipt of a letter from the academic supervisor supporting this need. Documentation is retained with housing application materials.

The housing and dining contract is binding for both summer sessions if classes are taken.


To make reservations for summer school housing, complete an application (below) with Housing and Residence Life during registration in the spring semester. You can also move in without prior reservation on one of the regular check-in days. Check-in is held on the Sunday before the summer session classes begin. You may only leave personal items in the residence halls between spring and the first summer session if you have been approved to do so in advance.

Summer Residence Halls

Vawter Hall (Summer School)

Johnson and Barringer (Summer Academy)

non-A/C, single and double occupancy
Payne  Hall A/C, double occupancy and limited single rooms
Graduate Life Center A/C, single and double occupancy, graduate students only

Summer Room and Dining Rates

All summer buildings are co-ed, and a limited number of single rooms will be offered in non-air-conditioned buildings. Single rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Any student assigned to a double-occupancy room may request a specific roommate, or be assigned a roommate by the staff.

All on-campus students are required to purchase either the Summer Flex or 19 meals-per-week dining plan. Off-campus students may select a Summer Flex, 19 or 7 meals-per-week dining plan. Due to the abbreviated term, the larger flex plans are not available.

2018 Summer Housing & Dining Contract

To submit a summer housing contract, log into the StarRez Portal and select Housing and Dining Contracts and then the appropriate summer session on the page displayed.

If you are not a Virginia Tech student normally (visiting scholars, etc), please contact our office at

Summer 2018 Off-campus Dining Only

Off-campus students wanting to add a dining plan may submit a summer dining plan by logging into the StarRez Portal and select Housing and Dining Contracts and then the appropriate summer dining  session on the page displayed.

On-campus residents will have their dining plans added using the housing/dining contract above.

If you are not a Virginia Tech student normally (visiting scholars, etc), please  e-mail or visit Hokie Passport Services at 100 Student Services Building to submit a summer dining plan request.