Spring 2018 Dining Plans
After Monday, 27 November, students may update their spring 2018 dining plan. If a student does not update their plan, they will receive a copy of their fall dining plan added to their spring account. Initial billing for the spring 2018 dining plan will be on the mid-December university billign statement.
Off-campus students may add, delete, or change their plan between 27 November and the 11:59 p.m., Thursdsay, 11 January 2018.
On-campus residents may change their dining plan during the same period. If an on-campus student will not be returning for the spring semester, their spring dining plan will be removed as their housing check-out is processed.
To make a change to the dining plan:
- Go to the StarRez Portal and log in with your PID/password and 2-factor identification.
- Select "Housing and Dining Contracts" from the tabs along the top of the page.
- Select the appropriate term/description
- Follow on-screen directions to add your plan.
Winter Break - Make a Plan!
Thursday, 21 December 2017 at Noon - Residence Halls Close for Students Not Involved in Fall Commencement.
Students must check out of their residence hall rooms within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than Noon, Thursday, December 21, if they are not directly involved with the commencement ceremony.
If you are graduating or are directly involved with the Commencement activities or have an extenuating circumstance, complete the Late Check Out Request form in the StarRez Portal (form active from December 1 until 2 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2017)
Exceptions apply for residents of 10-month residence halls if the resident registers to stay using the Break Housing Registration form in the StarRez Portal (form active from December 1 until 2 p.m., Friday, 15 December 2017)
Friday, 22 Decemeber 2017 at 10 a.m. - Residence Halls Close for All Students Except for those Registered for Break Housing
Dining plans are not operational during the Winter Break
Friday, 12 January 2018, at Noon - Residence Halls Re-Open
Winter Session 2018
Returning students registered for Winter Session Residential Classes are allowed to return on Monday, 1 January 2018, if they have registered by Friday, December 15, 2017.
- Students living in 10-month halls will use the Break Housing Registration form
- Students not living in a building open durign break will use the Winter Session Housing Registration form. There is a fee to stay during the break outside of a break building.
- Both forms are available in the StarRez Portal (form active from December 1 until 2 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2017)
Dining Services are not available during the winter break.
Leaving at End of Semester
Students who are plannign to return for the spring semester do not need to move their items out of the room. They may leave items over the break; however, we do suggest that high-value items be placed out of view or taken home with the student. It is very important to follow posted instructions from staff regarding closing up your room for the winter break including closing/locking windows, cleaning out refrigerators, and making sure your door is closed and locked before you depart.
If you are not returning for the spring semester, please make a time with your resident advisor staff to check you out of your room before you depart. As part of the process, they will complete your room condition form. This will cause your housing and dining account to be cleared for the spring semester if you are not returning to Blacksburg for classes.
If your plans change regarding spring semester and you decide not to return, you should make plans to return to campus on or before 11 January 2018 to complete your room move-out. You may access your room weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by coming to the main housing office in 144 New Hall West to get a temporary access card and to process your check-out. Students who have belongings in the room past 5 p.m. on Thursday, 11 January 2018, will have at least partial charges for the spring semester housing even if they subsequently check-out/withdraw from the semester. Charges are based on the date of actual check-out.
Thanksgiving Break - Make a Plan!
Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10 a.m. - Residence Halls Close
- Exceptions apply for residents of 10-month residence halls if the resident registers to stay using the Break Housing Registration form in the StarRez Portal (form active from November 1 until 2 p.m., Thursday, November 16, 2017)
- Dining plans are not operational during the Thanksgiving Break
Sunday, November 26, 2017, 8 a.m. - Residence Halls Re-Open
- Note: Football game vs. University of Virginia will be played at Charlottesville