Important Dates and Events
This calendar may be amended as necessary to meet University requirements. University Academic Calendars take precedence in academic matters. Academic dates listed below are for convenience only.
In response to COVID-19, residents will move in by timeslot. You can find more information here. We will be updating this page regularly with more details as we approach the fall.
Residence Hall Floor Meetings
- Refer to schedule posted by residence hall staff members within your building or check directly with your resident advisor. All students should attend at least one floor meeting at the start of the semester.
Fall 2020 Move-In
- August 14-23. Students will select their own move-in timeslot! Further details can be found here.
Fall 2020 Classes Begin
- Monday, August 24, 2020
- Monday, September 7, 2020
- University Closed, no classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing and Residence Life offices are closed.
Fall 2020 Break
- Friday-Sunday, October 16-18, 2020
- No classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
2021-2022 Housing Application Process
- Mid-November 2020
- Information about next academic year's housing options will be distributed.
Living-Learning Programs (LLPs) Application Process for Returning Students
- Mid-October through Mid-November 2020
- Residents will receive information about applying for membership in a living-learning program for the next academic year.
- This applies to students who would like to:
- Return to their current LLP
- Switch LLPs
- Join an LLP for the first time
- Saturday-Sunday, November 21-29, 2020
- Residence Halls in Low-Occupancy Period
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal (under Online Forms > Thanksgiving Break) if they will be staying for any part of the break period.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties. Dining plans are not operational during the Thanksgiving Break. Please see the Dining Hours page for details.
Fall 2020 Classes End
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Fall 2020 Reading Day
- Thursday, December 10 2020
Fall 2020 Exams
- Friday-Thursday, December 11-17, 2020
Fall 2020 Commencement
- Friday, December 18, 2020
- University and Graduate School Ceremonies
Virginia Tech's Fall 2020 Plan has also impacted the dates that our residence halls will close. Once decisions have been made, we will share information here.
Winter Session 2020
This is subject to change as the university responds to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic.
Residential Classes (Blacksburg)
- Monday-Saturday, January 4-16, 2021
- Returning students registered for winter session residential (Blacksburg campus) classes should register for winter break housing (for part or all of the winter break/winter session period).
- Registration for winter break will be available in the StarRez Portal with the winter form active starting December 1. You must register before occupying the residence halls during any break.
- Dining services are not available during the winter break/winter session.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties.
Winter Session Classes End
- Friday, January 15, 2021
Winter Session Exams
- Saturday, January 16, 2021