Important Dates and Events
This calendar may be amended as necessary to meet University requirements. University Academic Calendars take precedence in academic matters. Academic dates listed below are for convenience only.
Residence Hall Floor Meetings
- Refer to schedule posted by residence hall staff members within your building or check directly with your resident advisor. All students should attend at least one floor meeting at the start of the semester.
Fall 2020 Move-In
- August 14-23.
Fall 2020 Classes Begin
- Monday, August 24, 2020
- Monday, September 7, 2020
- University Closed, no classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing and Residence Life offices are closed.
Fall 2020 Break
- Friday-Sunday, October 16-18, 2020
- No classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
2021-2022 Housing Application Process
- Mid-November 2020
- Information about next academic year's housing options will be distributed.
Living-Learning Programs (LLPs) Application Process for Returning Students
- October 23, 2020 through November 13, 2020
- Residents will receive information about applying for membership in a living-learning program for the next academic year.
- This applies to students who would like to:
- Return to their current LLP
- Switch LLPs
- Join an LLP for the first time
- Saturday-Sunday, November 21-29, 2020
- Residence Halls in Low-Occupancy Period
- Virginia Tech will shift to virtual coursework for the instructional days following Thanksgiving Break
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal (under Online Forms > Thanksgiving/Winter Break Plan Form) by Wednesday, October 14 at 5pm if they will be staying for any part of the break period.
- Students that leave by noon, Saturday, November 21, and properly check out of their residence hall are eligible for a 10% housing rebate.
- If you are requesting approval for break housing, you will receive an answer by 12pm on Monday, October 19, 2020.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties. After November 21, dining operations will be open, but limited. Access to fitness facilities will likewise be reduced.
Fall 2020 Classes End
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Fall 2020 Reading Day
- Thursday, December 10 2020
Fall 2020 Exams
- Friday-Thursday, December 11-17, 2020
Fall 2020 Commencement
- Friday, December 18, 2020
- University and Graduate School Ceremonies
Residence Halls Open Early - Transfer/First-Year Orientation
- Thursday, January 14, 2021
- Move-in for new first-year and transfer students who are registered for orientation will be determined by student timeslot.
Residence Halls Open for Returning Students
- January 16-24, 2021
- Residents returning from the Fall 2020 semester must schedule their timeslot to return on the StarRez Portal.
- COVID-19 testing timeslots will be assigned based on selected move-in timeslot.
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- Monday, January 18, 2021
- University closed; no classes. However, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing and Residence Life offices are open.
Spring Classes Begin
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021
- All instruction fully online through January 22, 2021.
- Monday, January 25, 2021
- Hybrid and in-person instruction begins.
Housing Application Process for 2021-2022
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8 a.m. through Friday, January 22, 2021, at 5 p.m.
- Housing lottery sign-up for returning students only on the StarRez Portal.
- On or about February 1, 2021 - Returning, Undergraduate Student Housing Offers for 2021-2022 distributed for returning students.
- Friday, February 12, 2021 at 5 p.m. - 2021-2022 Returning Housing/Dining Contracts Due from Returning, Undergraduate Students.
Spring Wellness Days - No Classes (University Offices Open)
- February 5
- February 25
- March 17
- April 6
- April 26
Spring Classes End
- Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Spring Reading Day
- Thursday, May 6, 2021
- Friday, May 7, through Wednesday, May 12, 2021
End of Spring Semester 2021 - Residence Halls Close
- Students must check out of their rooms within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than 10 a.m. Thursday, May 13.
- Once the University made a determination regarding Commencement activities, this information may be updated.
- All students except graduate/professional students living in the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown holding a 12-month contract must be checked out by this date. Students returning to on-campus housing for summer school should follow summer housing information for transition planning.
- More information about summer housing will be available later in the Spring term.