Important Dates and Events
This calendar may be amended as necessary to meet University requirements. University Academic Calendars take precedence in academic matters. Academic dates listed below are for convenience only.
Residence Hall Floor Meetings
- Refer to schedule posted by residence hall staff members within your building or check directly with your resident advisor. All students should attend at least one floor meeting at the start of the semester.
Fall 2020 Move-In
- August 14-23.
Fall 2020 Classes Begin
- Monday, August 24, 2020
- Monday, September 7, 2020
- University Closed, no classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing and Residence Life offices are closed.
Fall 2020 Break
- Friday-Sunday, October 16-18, 2020
- No classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
2021-2022 Housing Application Process
- Mid-November 2020
- Information about next academic year's housing options will be distributed.
Living-Learning Programs (LLPs) Application Process for Returning Students
- October 23, 2020 through November 13, 2020
- Residents will receive information about applying for membership in a living-learning program for the next academic year.
- This applies to students who would like to:
- Return to their current LLP
- Switch LLPs
- Join an LLP for the first time
- Saturday-Sunday, November 21-29, 2020
- Residence Halls in Low-Occupancy Period
- Virginia Tech will shift to virtual coursework for the instructional days following Thanksgiving Break
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal (under Online Forms > Thanksgiving/Winter Break Plan Form) by Wednesday, October 14 at 5pm if they will be staying for any part of the break period.
- Students that leave by noon, Saturday, November 21, and properly check out of their residence hall are eligible for a 10% housing rebate.
- If you are requesting approval for break housing, you will receive an answer by 12pm on Monday, October 19, 2020.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties. After November 21, dining operations will be open, but limited. Access to fitness facilities will likewise be reduced.
Fall 2020 Classes End
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Fall 2020 Reading Day
- Thursday, December 10 2020
Fall 2020 Exams
- Friday-Thursday, December 11-17, 2020
Fall 2020 Commencement
- Friday, December 18, 2020
- University and Graduate School Ceremonies