Important Dates and Events
This calendar may be amended as necessary to meet University requirements. University Academic Calendars take precedence in academic matters. Academic dates listed below are for convenience only.
Residence Hall Floor Meetings
- Refer to schedule posted by residence hall staff members within your building or check directly with your Residential Well-being Student Leader. All students should attend at least one floor meeting at the start of the semester.
Fall 2023 Move-In
- First year and returning students will pick their specific move-in appointment.
- Thursday, August 10:
- New cadet arrival
- Tuesday - Thursday, August 15 - 17:
- First time in college/transfer students
- Friday - Sunday, August 18 - 20:
- Returning civilian students
- Saturday - Sunday, August 19 - 20:
- Returning cadet arrival
Fall Classes Begin
- Monday, August 21, 2023
- Monday, September 4, 2023
- University Closed, no classes, however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing Services and Residential Well-being offices are closed.
- Friday - Sunday, October 6 - 8, 2023
- No classes, however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
Living-Learning Programs (LLPs) Priority Application Process for Returning Students
- Sunday, October 1 - Monday, November 20, 2023
- Residents will receive information about applying for membership in a living-learning program for the next academic year.
- This applies to students who would like to:
- Return to their current LLP
- Switch to a different LLP
- Join an LLP for the first time
- Saturday - Sunday, November 18 - 26, 2023
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal. The form will open on Monday, October 23, 2023. Find the form under the Online Forms tab and select Thanksgiving/Winter Break Plan Form.
- Residence halls close at 10:00 AM on Saturday, November 18, 2023, and reopen at 8:00 AM on Sunday, November 26, 2023.
- Students noted to be in residence halls without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties.
- After November 18th, dining operations will be open but limited. Access to fitness facilities will also be reduced.
Fall Classes End
- Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Fall Reading Day
- Thursday, December 7, 2023
- Friday - Wednesday, December 8 - 13, 2023
Residence Halls Close for the Fall Semester
- Students are expected to depart campus within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than 10:00 AM, Thursday December 14, 2023 if they are not directly involved with the commencement ceremony or if they have not registered for break housing.
- As of 10:00 AM, Thursday, December 14, 2023 all students must be checked out except for the following:
- Graduate/professional students living the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown who hold a 12- month contract.
- Those registered for Break Housing and returning for the spring semester.
- Students who are participating in graduation ceremonies should submit a Late Check-Out request through the StarRez Portal. The Late Check Out Request Form will open on November 6 at 8:00 AM and close on December 13 at 12:00 PM.
- Students who need to stay for Winter Break Housing may log on to the StarRez Portal beginning November 6 to submit the request. Students may continue to submit requests during the break, but should allow 24 hours for the request to be processed before returning to campus. Students needing an emergency return will need to reach out to the on-call staff upon arrival.
- Friday, December 15, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.
- More details TBA.
Residence Halls Open Early - Transfer/First-Year Orientation
- Friday, January 12, 2024
- Residence halls will open at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, January 12, 2024 for first-year and transfer students who are registered for Orientation.
- New students, especially those who have needs for Hokie Passport and other university services, will be encouraged to use this day to move in, as those offices will be open.
Residence Halls Open
- Saturday, January 13, 2024 and Sunday, January 14, 2024
- Residence halls open at 8:00 a.m. for new spring residents not registered for Orientation.
- Residents returning from the fall semester can arrive any time or day after Friday at noon; however, returning students are encouraged to wait until Saturday/Sunday to return. Returning students arriving before Friday, January 12, 2024, must be registered for Winter Break Housing in the StarRez Portal.
- Corps of Cadets students and Student Leaders should follow directives from command staff and residence life supervisors about their specific schedules.
- Housing Services will be open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Most other university offices will be closed, including Hokie Passport Services.
- Please see the Dining Center Operation hours for information on which locations are open.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- Monday, January 15, 2024
- No classes. University offices (including Housing Services and Residential Well-being) are closed.
- Residence halls are open.
- Dining Services will be operating.
Spring Classes Begin
- Tuesday, January 16, 2024
Housing Application Process for 2024-2025
- Opens at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 16, 2024
- Closes at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 19, 2024
Commencement Housing Building Late Check-Out Requests for Spring 2024
- Opens at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 17, 2024 for residents of Commencement Housing Buildings
- Residents of Commencement Housing Buildings (Ambler Johnston East, Ambler Johnston West, and O’Shaughnessy) must register any request to stay past noon on Thursday, May 09, 2024, as their building will be used for Commencement Housing.
- Students who are graduating, participating in commencement activities, or otherwise have an extenuating circumstance must register their request by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 1, 2024, using the request form in the StarRez Portal. Late requests will not be accepted.
- Saturday, March 2 through Sunday, March 10, 2024
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal (under Online Forms > Break Housing Registration). This form will open on February 5, 2024.
- Halls close at 10:00 am on Saturday, March 2, 2024 and reopen at 8:00 am on Sunday, March 10, 2024.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties. After March 2, dining operations will be open, but limited. Access to fitness facilities will likewise be reduced.
Spring Classes End
- Wednesday, May 1, 2024
Spring Reading Day
- Thursday, May 2, 2024
- Friday, May 3 through Wednesday, May 8, 2024
Spring Dining Plans End
- Dinner Meal, 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 8, 2024
End of Spring Semester 2023 for students not involved with Spring Commencement
- Thursday, May 09, 2024 at noon
- Students must check out of their rooms within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than noon, Thursday, May 09, if they have not been approved for a late check-out.
- If you are graduating or are directly involved with the Commencement activities or have an extenuating circumstance, complete the Late Check Out Request form in the StarRez Portal.
- Residents in Commencement Housing Buildings (Ambler Johnston East, Ambler Johnston West, and O’Shaughnessy Hall): the form will be active beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 17 2024. It will close for Commencement Housing Residents at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 1, 2024.
- Residents in all other buildings: the form will be active beginning at 8:00 a.m. on April 1, 2024. It will close for non-commencement housing residents at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2024.
- Please see the Commencement Schedule for specific ceremony times.
Residence Halls Close
- Sunday, May 12, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
- All students except graduate/professional students living in the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown holding a 12-month contract must be checked out by this date. Students returning to on-campus housing for summer school should follow summer housing information for transition planning.