Each year we welcome around 6,000 first-year students to the on-campus community at Virginia Tech. This year (2020-2021), due to COVID-19, the first-year residency requirement and guarantee has been waived. Please visit our Fall 2020 page and vt.edu/ready for more information.
Assignments for incoming first-year students and transfers will still be made in contract receipt order, so the earlier your contract arrives, the earlier you are assigned in the process. Also, each year, we expect a limited number of first-year students to be placed in temporary (overflow) housing during the start of the fall semester. We assign temporary housing to those at the end of the contract receipt list.
As noted in the admissions offer packet brochure, students who do not complete their contract may have their admissions blocked to the University after June 1.
Freshman Residency Requirement / Exception to Live Off-campus
All incoming first-year students at Virginia Tech are required to live on campus during their first year unless they are given express permission under the following guidelines:
- Reside with their parents or close relatives who are established residents of the community;
- Are married and live with their spouses;
- Are military veterans of at least six months active duty;
- Are at least 21 years old; or
- Have this condition waived pursuant to other binding agreement with the university.
If you believe you qualify under one of these exceptions, please complete the First-Year Residency Requirement Waiver Request on the StarRez Portal.
Steps to Complete Your Housing/Dining Contract
Step 1 - You can go online to onboard.it.vt.edu where you will create your PID/password before you can log in to their Hokie Spa. It takes at least 24-48 hours for the PID/password to process through the various Virginia Tech systems.
Step 2 - Before you complete your Housing/Dining Contract, please read the Terms of the Housing/Dining Contract online. Although the terms and conditions will remain available throughout the year for your reference, you may wish to print and retain this information for your convenience. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract before returning it to the University.
Step 3. - After you have activated a PID, complete and electronically sign your Housing/Dining Contract by following these steps:
- Log into the StarRez Portal using your University PID and password.
- Before you complete your Housing/Dining Contract, please read the terms and conditions of your Housing/Dining Contract. Although the terms and conditions will remain available throughout the year for your reference, you may wish to print and retain this information for your convenience. It is your responsibility to understand the terms and conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract before returning it to the University.
- Select the academic year from the menu choices displayed.
- Your Housing/Dining Contract questions will be displayed.
Awaiting A Specific Roommate's Acceptance?
Please do not wait to complete your contract in anticipation of a roommate being accepted to the University. You can complete your contract now with your name and student ID number as well as your friend's name/ID number to add as a preferred roommate. If your friend has not been accepted or does not yet have a student ID/application ID number, make sure to update your contract preferences by contacting Housing and Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org once you know your preferred roommate has been accepted. We only consider mutual roommate requests.
- You do not need to return anything to our office if you electronically sign your contract. The matriculation fee paid when accepting admissions to the University includes the housing prepayment noted in the of the Housing/Dining Contract.
Selecting a Dining Plan
You will select your dining plan when completing your housing contract. You may change your dining plan preference throughout the summer, but final changes must be made before the fall move-in date.
Receiving Your Housing/Dining Contract in Print
Contact Housing and Residence Life at email@example.com to request a paper version of your on-campus student housing offer. Please be sure to include your name, ID number, and preferred mailing address. We will send this out as soon as possible. You will then complete and return the paper copy directly the housing office. We can send you an Adobe PDF version of the contract or mail you a printed copy.
You may also request a copy by stopping by our office during weekday office hours or by phoning us directly. We cannot offer a housing/dining contract until you are admitted to and have accepted the offer of admission to the University.