It is the goal of Housing Services that most students select their own assignments. Priority for room assignment is determined by contract receipt order, with returning students selecting rooms in the spring term prior to new student assignments occurring over the summer.
There are some exceptions to student self-selection. Members of the Corps of Cadets, Oak Lane communities, and student athletes housed in CID will be assigned by their respective organizations; students who fall near the end of the contract receipt order, or those who fail to self-select by stated deadlines, may be placed by Housing Services staff. Additionally, students with housing accommodations that limit what buildings or room types will best support their accommodations are typically manually assigned by Housing Services staff. Although infrequent, Housing Services reserves the right to reassign any student if necessary.
Occasionally two students want to "swap" room assignments. If we hear from the two students approving such an assignments change, we will attempt the move. We must hear directly from the students involved in the swap - we will not move someone out of a space because you "think they won't mind." Students must send written notice from their @vt.edu email address giving approval of such a switch, specifying what they are agreeing to do(including buildings and room numbers).
Assignments may be changed at the discretion of the housing office. While we attempt to minimize such changes, each year a small number of changes must be made in response to occupancy concerns.
Room Change Information
The Room Change Process can be engaged by students through the StarRez Portal. Once in the portal, select Online Forms and follow the on-screen instructions for Room Change Requests.
If a room change is being considered due to a conflict with roommate/suitemates, it is the expectation that the residents have started with direct communication to attempt to resolve the concern. This resolution can be supported by the student leader or house supervisor who are trained in communication and conflict mediation. These student staff members are also supported by RWB professionals who may either support or directly address the situation. A room change should not be seen as the default solution to a conflict, but rather a step in the resolution when lower-level solutions have been considered.
If your room change is approved, follow the steps below:
- Complete the move within 72 hours.
- Check out of your old room by submitting an express check-out form through the StarRez Portal. If you wish to schedule an in-person check-out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to do so.
- Failure to complete the move by the deadline will result in improper checkout charges and loss of the right to contest damage assessments made by staff.
- Student Telecommunications (CNS), Residential Mail Services, and Hokie Passport Services will be notified of your change.
- Your mailing address will be updated in the University system. All mail addressed to your old University address will be forwarded. Please be sure to update your friends & family of your new mailing address.
- For students moving between residence halls: the Hokie Passport Office will provide you dual access to both residences for 72 hours to complete your move.
- Log on to the StarRez Portal to complete your new room inspection; inspections are found in the Room Inspections process.
- Housing Services seeks to provide housing for as many students as possible, and to maintain a residence hall environment that is conducive to student development. To affect these goals, Housing Services reserves the right to assign persons to all vacant spaces, to make room changes, and to approve/refuse room changes.
- Consistent with University policy, no room assignment will be made or changed on the basis of race, creed, color, or national origin.
- Room change requests that involve specialized communities such as Living-Learning Programs, the Corps of Cadets, and Oak Lane Communities have additional requirements and may require the approval of program leadership beyond the submission of this form.
- If a student has difficulty in making a change, the Housing Services staff may make an administrative reassignment to another space.
- A room change is officially approved when students receives an approval email from Housing to their @vt.edu email address.
- Moving students will receive access on their Hokie Passport at the time of approval, and will have access to the new and old room to complete their room change.
- The actual moving involved in the room change must be completed within 72 hours after Housing Services has approved the change. If not completed within the 72 hours, the change approval may be rescinded and improper check-out charges applied.
- The room change is complete when you submit an Express Check-Out on the StarRez Portal.
- Any student making a room change without approval from Housing Services may be subject to disciplinary action and/or may be reassigned to their original assignment.
In times of low on-campus occupancy, Housing Services may offer students who currently do not have a roommate the option to convert to single occupancy for the remainder of the academic year. Housing Services reserves the right to approve or disapprove requests as necessary due to occupancy levels and/or occupancy management concerns.
Please note: we do not currently plan to offer a single room buy-out process for the 2022-23 academic year.
End of Semester Room Changes allow a person to express interest in making a room change to an open space before a new assignment is made for the spring semester into that vacancy. This process allows students to consolidate themselves to live with preferred roommates; requests to move to an unoccupied room will be denied.
The end of semester room change form will open on the StarRez Portal at 8 a.m, on Friday, November 28, 2022. The form will close at 4:59 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2022 in order to provide Housing Services staff sufficient time to review and respond to all submissions, as well as arrange for students to complete moves.
- Both students must agree to the room change. Both the student moving and the student receiving a new roommate must complete the end of semester room change submission on the StarRez Portal. Requests that are not mutual will not be honored.
- Students approved for an end of semester room change must complete the move PRIOR to leaving campus for the Winter Break; no later than 10 a.m. on Thursday, December 15, 2022.
- Students who complete an end of semester room change must check out of their former assignment in person. Appointments to complete a check-out can be made through the StarRez Portal; students will receive instructions for doing so in their room change approval email.
To Submit an End of Semester Room Change Request:
- Log onto the StarRez Portal
- Navigate to Online Forms
- Select End of Semester Room Change Request from the dropdown menu
- Complete the appropriate request form.
Housing Services staff will review and respond to requests in the order in which they are received. Responses will be sent to students’ VT email addresses only.