Important Dates and Events
This calendar may be amended as necessary to meet University requirements. University Academic Calendars take precedence in academic matters. Academic dates listed below are for convenience only.
Summer Housing Contracts Available
- Wednesday, March 16, 2022
- Summer Housing Contracts Available on the StarRez Portal
Deadline to Pre-Register for Spring to Summer Transition Eligibility
- Friday, April 29, 2022
- Students residing on campus for Spring 2022 must sign summer housing contracts by 5pm in order to be eligible for Spring to Summer Transition
- Please note: due to summer facilities projects, students residing in East Eggleston or Payne Halls for Spring 2022 are not eligible for spring to summer transition.
Deadline to Sign Summer Contracts for Summer I Session
- Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Residence Halls Open
- Sunday, May 22, 2022, 8 a.m.
- Residence halls open at 8 a.m. for Summer I residents.
Deadline to Sign Summer Contracts for Summer II Session
- Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Check-Out for Summer I Residents Not Enrolled for Summer II
- Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 12 p.m.
Summer II / Summer Academy Move In
- Tuesday, July 5, 2022, at 8 a.m.
- Residence halls open at 8 a.m. for Summer Academy and Summer II residents
Summer to Fall Transition
- Friday, August 5 - Sunday, August 7, 2022
- Summer residents living on-campus for Fall 2022 will begin transitioning to their fall assignments at 8 a.m. on Friday, August 5
- Summer residents must complete their transition to their fall assignment by 5 p.m. on Sunday, August 7, 2022
Summer II Check-Out for Students Not Residing on Campus Fall 2022
- Saturday, August 13, 2022
- Summer II residents not residing on campus for Fall 2022 must be checked-out by 10 a.m.
Residence Hall Floor Meetings
- Refer to schedule posted by residence hall staff members within your building or check directly with your resident advisor. All students should attend at least one floor meeting at the start of the semester.
Fall 2022 Move-In
- July: First year and returning students will pick their specific move-in appointment
- Thursday, August 11: New cadet arrival
- Monday - Wednesday, August 15-17: First-time in college/transfer students
- Thursday - Friday, August 18-19: Returning civilian students
- Saturday, August 20: Returning cadet arrival
Fall 2022 Classes Begin
- Monday, August 22, 2022
- Monday, September 5, 2022
- University Closed, no classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open. Housing Services and Residential Well-Being offices are closed.
Fall 2022 Break
- Friday-Sunday, October 7-9, 2022
- No classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
2022-2023 Housing Application Process
- To Be Announced
- Information about next academic year's housing options will be distributed.
Living-Learning Programs (LLPs) Priority Application Process for Returning Students
- October 3, 2022 - November 11, 2022
- Residents will receive information about applying for membership in a living-learning program for the next academic year.
- This applies to students who would like to:
- Return to their current LLP
- Switch LLPs
- Join an LLP for the first time
- Saturday-Sunday, November 19-27, 2022
- Residence Halls in Low-Occupancy Period
- Students staying during the break in their residence hall must register using the StarRez Portal (under Online Forms > Thanksgiving/Winter Break Plan Form). This form will open on October 24, 2022.
- Halls close at 10:00am on Saturday, November 19, 2022 and reopen at 8:00am on Sunday, November 27, 2022.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties. After November 19, dining operations will be open, but limited. Access to fitness facilities will likewise be reduced.
Fall 2022 Classes End
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022
Fall 2022 Reading Day
- Thursday, December 8, 2022
Fall 2022 Exams
- Friday-Wednesday, December 9-14, 2022
Fall 2022 Residence Halls Close for the Semester
- Students are expected to depart campus within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than 10am, Thursday, December 15, 2022, if they are not directly involved with the commencement ceremony or if they have not registered for break housing.
- As of 10am, Thursday, December 15, 2022 all students must be checked out except for the following:
- Graduate/professional students living the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown who hold a 12-month contract.
- Those registered for Break Housing and returning for the spring semester.
- Students who are participating in graduation ceremonies on the 16th should submit a Late Check-Out request through the StarRez Portal. The Late Check Out Request Form will open on November 7 at 8am and close on December 14 at 12pm.
- Student who need to stay for Winter Break Housing may log on to the StarRez Portal beginning November 7 to submit the request. Students may continue to submit requests during the break, but should allow 24 hours for the request to be processed before returning to campus. Students needing an emergency return will need to reach out to the on-call staff upon arrival.
Fall 2022 Commencement
- Friday, December 16, 2022
- University and Graduate School Ceremonies
Residence Halls Open Early - Transfer/First-Year Orientation
- Friday, January 13, 2023
- Residence halls will open at 8 a.m. on Friday, January 13, 2023 for first-year and transfer students who are registered for Orientation.
- New students, especially those who have needs for Hokie Passport and other university services, will be encouraged to use this day to move in, as those offices will be open.
Residence Halls Open
- Saturday, January 14, 2023
- Residence halls open at 8 a.m. for new spring residents not registered for Orientation.
- Residents returning from the fall semester can arrive any time or day after Friday at noon; however, returning students are encouraged to wait until Saturday/Sunday to return. Returning students arriving before Friday, January 13, 2023, must be registered for Winter Break Housing in the StarRez Portal.
- Corps of Cadets students and resident advisors should follow directives from command staff and residence life supervisors about their specific schedules.
- Please see the Dining Center Operation hours for information on which locations are open.
Residence Halls Open
- Saturday, January 14 and Sunday, January 15, 2023
- Returning students are encouraged to wait until Saturday/Sunday to return. Housing and Residence Life will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Most other university offices will be closed, including Hokie Passport Services.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- Monday, January 16, 2023
- No classes. University offices (including Housing Services and Residential Well-Being) are closed.
- Dining Services will be operating.
Spring Classes Begin
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Housing Application Process for 2023-2024
- To Be Announced
Commencement Housing Building Late Stay Request
- Residents of Commencement Housing Buildings (TBA)
- Students must register any request to stay past noon on Thursday, May 11, 2023, as their building will be used for Commencement Housing. Students who are graduating, participating in commencement activities, or otherwise have an extenuating circumstance should register their request by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 3, 2023, using the request form in the StarRez Portal.
- Saturday, March 4 through Sunday, March 12, 2023
- Residence halls being low-occupancy operations for Spring Break. Students staying during part of the break or through the entire break must sign up in the StarRez Portal prior to occupying the space during the break.
- Students noted in residence without an active break registration may face financial and student conduct penalties.
Spring Classes End
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Spring Reading Day
- Thursday, May 4, 2023
- Friday, May 5 through Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Spring Dining Plans End
- Dinner Meal, 8 p.m. on Wednesday, May 10, 2023
End of Spring Semester 2023 for students not involved with Spring Commencement
- Thursday, May 11, 2023 at noon
- Students must check out of their rooms within 24 hours after their last exam, but no later than noon, Thursday, May 11, if they are not directly involved with the commencement ceremony.
- If you are graduating or are directly involved with the Commencement activities or have an extenuating circumstance, complete the Late Check Out Request form in the StarRez Portal (form active from April 3 until 5 p.m. on Friday, April 28, 2023)
- Residents of Commencement Housing Buildings (TBA) must register any request to stay past noon on Thursday, May 11, 2023, as their building will be used for Commencement Housing activities.
- Residents living in commencement buildings who are graduating, participating in commencement activities, or otherwise have an extenuating circumstance should register their request by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 3, 2023, using the form in the StarRez Portal.
Residence Halls Close
- Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 10 a.m.
- All students except graduate/professional students living in the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown holding a 12-month contract must be checked out by this date. Students returning to on-campus housing for summer school should follow summer housing information for transition planning.