This page is dedicated to providing "What you need to know for your on-campus student" in the near future and is part of the Parents and Families Newsletter.
Off-campus Dining Plans
Our dining offerings are amazing. On-campus and off-campus students are eligible for a dining plan. About 23,000 students engage in some sort of dining plan each year. On-campus students automatically sign up for a dining plan when completing their housing contract. For more information about the available dining plans, go to http://www.dining.vt.edu.
To add a dining plan as an off-campus student:
- Go to the StarRez Portal at https://vt.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortal and log in with your PID/password and 2-factor identification.
- Select "Housing and Dining Contracts" from the tabs along the top of the page.
- Select "Off-campus Dining Plan (Fall)"
- Follow on-screen directions to add your plan.
Health and Safety Inspections
Building staff will be visiting student rooms to do health and safety inspections with particular emphasis on materials covered in Fire and Safety Regulations
The purpose of the inspections is to maintain a safe living and learning environment for all community members. Room inspections may occur without the student's presence.
Staff will be checking the following:
- Smoke Detectors & Fire Safety Devices
- Prohibited materials, appliances, furniture, pets
- Sanitary living conditions
- Electrical standards
- Safety of furnishings, decorations, windows, and doors
For a complete overview of policies that will be covered in the inspection, please review the item list below (also at https://housing.vt.edu/experience/Halls/fire.html), consult the Hokie Handbook here, or talk to your hall staff member as necessary.
Fall Break 2017
Friday, October 13, 2017: No classes; however, residence halls and dining centers will remain open.
Thanksgiving Break - Make a Plan!
Sunday, November 19, 2017, 10 a.m. Residence Halls Close
- Exceptions apply for residents of 10-month residence halls if the resident registers to stay using the Break Housing Registration form in the StarRez Portal (form active from November 1 until 2 p.m., Thursday, November 16, 2017)
- Dining plans are not operational during the Thanksgiving Break
Sunday, November 26, 2017, 8 a.m. Residence Halls Re-Open
- Note: Football game vs. University of Virginia will be played at Charlottesville
Dining Center opening schedule TBD