Summer Jobs with Conference and Guest Services
We are looking for an outstanding group of students to fill our summer staff positions that will play a vital role in providing services to our guests this summer!
There are many benefits to working with our program: competitive wages, the possibility of free housing, and 10 free meals a week! Hospitality and Tourism Management students can also earn credit toward their field study hours.
If you are not currently enrolled as a student Virginia Tech, please download this application. Students enrolled at Virginia Tech should use the Housing and Residence Life StarRez portal and follow the Employment Opportunities link in the top menu.
Chief Objective of Positions
As an employee, you may be responsible for handling tasks such as check-in/check-out, conference management, preparation of amenities, keycard control, dining arrangements, and other tasks as required.
If you have any questions, please call (540) 231-5721 or email Conference and Guest Services.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equity and Access.
Gather all documents needed to complete the application process before starting. Suggested information includes your complete education history, references, and employment information, plus any electronic documents you plan to attach to your application (Resume, CV, etc.).
Go to the StarRez Portal and select "Employment Opportunities" from the top menu. Select "Conferences" as the position for which you would like to apply.
Create an Electronic Application
Follow the steps to create an account (or sign in if you have an account already) and complete the application. You must click “Certify and Submit” to complete the application process. Please note: the more information you provide on your application, the easier it will be to effectively evaluate your skills, abilities, and qualifications. Attaching a resume is not a substitute for completing the application form (both must be completed to be considered for employment).
Managing your Application
If you have questions about student employment, contact Conference and Guest Services at (540) 231-5721 or email us during the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.
Conference Assistants provide services for conferences and camps that are housed in Virginia Tech residence halls. They serve as the primary contact and give appropriate information to various departments across campus. Conference Assistants will assist any conferences or groups in reserving classroom, recreation, meeting, or campus spaces as needed. Conference Assistants work with conference sponsors to prepare room rosters, create bills, reserve rooms, and disperse information. The Conference Assistants distribute amenities to rooms being used by conference and camp guests. They also assist with facility arrangements, deliver supplies, and assist with room preparations. Conference Assistants confirm that all rooms are set up and in proper order before a group arrives to campus There will be no set weekly schedule; however, staff will be expected to have weekly office hours. Weekends and evenings may be required as necessary.
- Serve as primary contact for assigned conferences
- Provide excellent customer service
- Serve in a nightly on-call duty rotation throughout the summer, which requires you to stay on campus in a provided room
- Ensure all conference information is received and delivered in a timely manner
- Collaborate with different departments to ensure successful guest experience
- Provide communication with campus partners to ensure each department has sufficient information for guest arrival and departure
- Prepare room keycards and dining cards for assigned groups
- Prepare rooming rosters for assigned groups
- Ensure that residence halls are prepared for a group’s arrival
- Conduct check-ins and check-outs for assigned groups
- Audit keycards after group’s departure
- Prepare necessary paperwork and requests for group
- Attend weekly staff meetings and all training sessions
- Assist with other Conference and Guest Services areas as needed including desk operations and room set up
- Handle some telephone communication
- Tag and return all lost and found
- Handle guest mail
- Assist with Hokie Helpers
- Perform other duties as requested
- Be available to work Mid-May to Late August
- Assist during graduation weekend with parent lodging on campus (if you are not graduating)
- Willing to work 30 to 40 hours per week
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times
- Ability to learn and use new software programs quickly
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines
- Follow all cash handling and credit card policies and procedures
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
Pay & Benefits
- $12 an hour
- 10 meals per week dining allowance on campus
- On-campus residence hall room, if needed