Resident Advisor Duties and Responsibilities
Active Engagement with Students
- Promote and sustain organic leadership by maintaining positive peer-leader relationships and supporting the goals of your residents.
- Be committed to student success.
- Be available to and get to know your residents.
- Have conversations with the residents on your floor throughout the year, paying special attention to when they join the community.
- Develop opportunities for individuals to contribute to the floor community.
- Be accessible to residents at various times throughout the day, including most nights and some weekends.
- Assist students as they develop the interpersonal skills and individual responsibility.
- Encourage student participation in Hall/Community/College Council, University sponsored programs, student organizations and other activities.
- Work as a member of the staff team to support out-of-class learning opportunities.
- Help develop an atmosphere in which students have concern and respect for the rights of others.
- Empower and educate students to resolve and mediate low-level conflicts on their own.
- Mediate conflicts amongst residents as they arise.
- Notify supervisor immediately of any conflict that may escalate
- Understand and uphold all University and residence hall rules, regulations, and policies.
- Utilize an educational approach to address students about policies, as well as the impacts of their behavior.
- Address all policy violations immediately and consistently.
- Maintain consistency and fairness when dealing with all students in the building.
- Document student concerns and notify supervisor in a timely fashion.
- Seek support and guidance from supervisor during and after difficult situations.
- Follow up with residents after a confrontation.
- Understand and maintain familiarity with crisis protocols.
- Respond to crises as they occur on the floor and in the building.
- Complete necessary paperwork involved in documenting the crisis.
- Escalate necessary situations to appropriate supervisor(s) immediately.
- Follow up with residents regarding any crisis situations.
- Participate in duty rotation.
- Conduct building rounds to build relationships with students, confront policy infractions, and note facility concerns.
- If applicable, share in duty coverage in buildings open over university break periods.
- Execute administrative functions of the position so that colleagues and students can maximize their ability to benefit from the living-learning environment created. This includes completing all required paperwork in a timely and accurate manner, promptly posting signs and regularly changing bulletin boards, and identifying and reporting maintenance concerns in common areas.
- Encourage and role model interaction with Housekeeping and Maintenance staff.
- Assist in opening and closing residence halls at the beginning and end of each semester as well as during vacation periods.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned by coordinators and other Housing and Residence Life professionals.
- The student staff position is a live-in position, and as such student staff are encouraged to sleep in their own room each night.
Personal and Professional Development
- Participate in staff selection and recruitment.
- Attend all training and leadership development opportunities.
- Complete the Principles of Peer Leadership three-credit course.