Moving In Frequently Asked Questions

We don't expect you to move in on your own! Here is a short list of people who will be available during move-in and a description of what they will assist you with.

Resident advisors (R.A.s) are student leaders and employees who live on each floor in the residence halls. They will be available at check-in tables and throughout the buildings during move-in to answer questions you may have.

Hokie Helpers is a group of University and community volunteers who help students and their parents move into residence hall rooms during check-in. These volunteers work to help make the move-in process a more pleasant experience for as many new and returning students as possible. They can help you unload vehicles, watch over belongings while you park your car, and carry items with you to your room.

Our goal is to help you spend less time moving so you can spend more time exploring campus, settling in, and saying goodbye.

Computer support teams will be on-call during move-in to help you configure your devices to the Virginia Tech network and connect them to the internet. To view information about getting connected, visit the 4Help website.

Once connected, you can visit the Virginia Tech IT Security Office website for information about securing your technology. 

Where can I purchase/rent carpets, linens, microfridges, hutches, or hand trucks once I arrive on campus?

Carpets, furniture, linens, microfridges, and hutches will be available on Washington Street between Ambler Johnston Hall and Pritchard Hall.

Where can I purchase/rent a loft once I arrive on campus?

Only university provided loftable beds are allowed to be lofted. Other types of lofts are not permitted in any residence hall.

I'm confused about my telephone service, cable TV, or internet hookup. Who do I talk to?

You can go talk to CNS Student Telecomunnications. They are located in the Student Services Building and are open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For phone service problems, call 540- 231-6780.

Where can I pick up my mail?

Mail will be delivered to either your residence hall or your area service building. Package pickup is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Residential Mail Service offices located in Owens Dining Center. 

Where can I pick up my student ID card?

You mean your Hokie Passport? You can pick that up at the Hokie Passport Office located in Office 100 at the Student Services Building.You will need to bring a government-issued, picture identification to get your ID card.

Where can I purchase or change a dining plan?

You can get a dining plan at the Hokie Passport Office located in Office 100 at the Student Services Building, or sign up online through Hokie Spa.

How do I register my vehicle?

You can get a permit online at or at Parking Services, located at 455 Tech Center Drive. They're open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Bring your vehicle registration card, Hokie Passport, and a form of payment. They accept cash, check, or credit card.

I'm locked out of my room, what do I do?

If you're locked out, don't panic, your resident advisor (R.A.) or house manager will have access to a master key they can use to let you back in your room. Keep in mind though that overusing this service (more than three unlocks per semester) may jeopardize your chance of using this service in the future.

If your R.A. or house manager is not available, you can also try contacting the area office for your residence hall, and then the main office at 144 New Hall West if needed. Housekeeping and maintenance staff are not permitted to let residents into their rooms.

If you have any more questions about keys, you can contact the Key Control Staff:

Access Manager: Stephen Barnett,, 540- 231-2386
Key Control Coordinator: 540-231-4193
Locksmiths: Diane Davis and Ted Newman